Post of the Day-Snoot(y)

So today after helping Heather a little with the baby's room, I got online and started reading more Strobist. I started looking at this site soon after I got my SB-800. Basic premise of this site is: "Learning how to use off-camera flash with your dSLR to take your photos to the next level." - David
I have been reading this a lot lately, an just ordered some wireless flash triggers called Cactus V2s. Very cheap and very cool when you think of it. Right now I can set my SB-800 to become a wireless trigger by using my pop up flash. Problem is, I have to use my pop up flash. This is not what you want in most cases, because usually you want to have the light coming from a different direction then the front. So with the triggers coming in a week or so, I should be able to have more creative control on my flash, and move it off camera. I am excited....can't you tell?
So while I was reading I discovered how to make a Snoot. Now a Snoot basically directs the light of your flash to go in one direction and not flash the whole subject. If you see an image with the subjects eyes really lit up, it was probably snooted. So I decided to make one, and this was one of the image I got.
Snoot(y) Kona
Now this is not a prefect example, but I think you get the idea. This was taken with my flash on my camera, which is fine, but the snoot extends from the camera, and when it is on top, it does not line up with the lens. In this case it is a little higher. When the triggers get here, I can move it anywhere I want and get a nice tight pattern around objects. Hope you enjoy.
Heather was working all day in Beans room, and just about has everything where it should. (tomorrow POTD, Baby Room :)) We have pretty much all we need now, and if Bean came today, he/she would be all set. Although we want Bean to come.....we don't want he/she to come today ;)
So pictures of Bean's room tomorrow, and maybe some snow.

Casey

5 comments:

Kellie said...

Glad you have gotten the baby's room all ready. It won't be long!

I like the photo! I must say, though... your flash talk has confused me. lol I haven't done a lot of research into flashes right now. I still prefer natural lighting over anything.

Snow... have you SEEN any yet? lol It might be falling but it surely isn't sticking.

Unknown said...

I confuse myself with this stuff too, but it is exciting to learn about it. I love natural light also, but unless I know I am going out to capture a landscape or something...I stay in bed for the great light in the morning :)
Heather didn't like the picture. She likes "normal" images...not artistic ones. ;)

Kellie said...

You know, I have found a lot of people don't "understand" the artistic ones. lol I have had friends look at mine before and have this weird look on their face. I'm just glad there are other people who DO like them. :)

So you prefer morning shots? I love afternoon unless there is something that the light catches really nicely in morning light. One of these days I am going to photograph Lake Wheeler with the sun coming up over it. I leave for school right before 6:30 each morning and the kids and I see it coming up. It is always so pretty out there.

Anonymous said...

Holy moly, Casey--I love that photo. It's beautiful!!

Anonymous said...

This looks JUST like my dog Tyler, except Tyler has white socks on his toes.

Very nice job.I know how hard it can be to get the lighting right on a black dog.