08-27-2008

Gone, but not forgotten...
Gone but not forgotten.

This is a picture I took at the Vietnam Memorial Wall while we were in Washington DC. I wanted to go here because my father served in Vietnam and it was important to me to go see this memorial to show my respect to the men, and women who died in that war, and who fought along side of my father.
The wall is 246 ft, 9 in long and is 10 ft tall. There are 58,246 names on the wall, including 8 women.
I do not know how many names my father knows that are on the wall, but I do know of one. I tried to look for that name while I was there, but I could not find it. I wrote down the wrong panel number. When I go back, and I hope I go back with my Dad, I will find it.
My Mom and Dad went to see The Moving Wall while it was in Geneva NY over Memorial Day. This was the first time my dad had seen it. He told me he had thought about going to see it before, but just couldn't. I can't say I blame him. I was not there with the men and women on that wall, but when you walk down the path and look upon those 58,246 names, you feel something. I can't really describe it. I do not remember any noise while standing there looking at it. I just remember feeling peaceful.

My Dad enlisted in the Marines Corps during the War because he did not wanted to get drafted into the Army. I do not think it was out of disrespect for the Army, he just thought his chances of survival would be better if he was a Marine. He was right :) I never really asked my Dad about the War out of respect. I figure he lived it once, came back to forget it, so why ask someone about it again. If he wanted to tell me about anything, I hope he knew I would listen. My Dad received a Bronze Star for bravery. I read the citation he received with it. It has been awhile since I read it but I believe it was for drawing enemy fire so his squad mates could regroup. He told me he was not trying to be brave, those were his brothers and he needed to help them. He said anyone of them would have done the same for him.
I had always been proud of my Dad for fighting for his country. I think after seeing the wall, I realize how lucky he was. His name could have been on that wall, and I would not be here writing this. So Dad, I love you, and I am very proud of what you did, and I am very sorry for your losses over there, and I hope one day soon I can take you to this Wall and you can see your friends and brothers again. "Semper Fi"

Click image below to go to the The Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall Page





2008-08-24-12-1
2008-08-24-15-3

3 comments:

Sal Cartusciello said...

It has been a while since we were there (think 1994), but yes, quiet. I do remember that. :-(

Kellie said...

That is awesome, Casey. When we were there a few years ago we couldn't get to the wall because of a massive thunderstorm. It wasn't pretty and it is a long and crazy story, but we were so close to that wall. Glad you got those pictures. Looks beautiful.

Kellie said...

BTW... saw your "Twitter" comment on the Canon sale. Don't be knockin' my Canon! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!!